Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Dynomutt made me the man I am today....


I don't know about you guys, but I feel like I spend all day every day bitching about kids' tv. In further investigating the New Zoo Revue (thanks to the distressing post below), I came across a lot of the great Saturday morning shit of my youth. And let me tell you, we all really lucked out to be born when we were. There was a very small window in the history of Saturday morning television where the shows were actually awesome. Basically, it was all good from about 1976-1980 or so (at which point we were ushered into the era of the half-hour toy commercial - smurfs and the like).

People are still griping about how kids' shows need to teach them shit, but back in my day, it was purely entertainment for entertainment's sake. What show could be sold today with a description like this one from 1977's Baggy Pants and the Nitwits?

" In The Nitwits, Arte Johnson and Ruth Buzzi reprised their Laugh-in characters, the Dirty Old Man and Gladys. Only in this animated series, the old man's not so dirty and they are crime fighters."

Now yer talkin'!!


3 comments:

Mark Ackland said...

Them, and guys who kidnap kids.

Blayne Burnside said...

All of those shoes were shit.

But they were pretty damn cool at the time! There's no way kids genuinely think Caillou is cool now.

Happy Hans said...

I'm with messy.

old tv = good, no no no.

old tv = you were 5 + high on corn puffs + shit your pants reg'lar.